Museus deMoura

Arabic Nucleus

Definitely re-conquered in 1232, Moura’s muslim presence remained strong, translated in aspects such as the Moorish quarter of the city (wich has considerable proportions), and also in the royal documents destined for the city, especially during D. Dinis’ Reign. With D. Manuel’s edict in 1496, the unconverted moors were forced to leave Portugal and the Moorish quarters lost its original purpose.

It reopened to the public in 1999, and at the heart of the neighbourhood is the Islamic nucleus, which exhibits “in situ” an Arabic well of the 14th century, and also some ceramic pieces and crystals. Many Arabic traces join these, such as: the hand-of-fatima (a lucky charm made of bone), the Islamic chest and various epigraphs, the most relevant being the one that is still inlaid in one of the castle’s fountains, which proves that the mosque’s minaret was built.